The World of Cybersecurity; AV and Beyond
Cybersecurity is a hot topic permeating every industry today. As Pro-AV deploys more solutions that have IT networking capabilities, our integrators face continuous cybersecurity considerations and challenges. PSA has been a thought leader from the start for cybersecurity solutions and put together basic guidelines to help our integrators navigate these cyber challenges.
PSA’s leadership team began by forming a cybersecurity committee and an advisory board to untangle the cybersecurity frameworks, jargon and processes and, ultimately, deliver a playbook series for integrators in any industry. In the first Playbook One Tier Zero, the committee focuses on guidelines for maturing and optimizing an integrator’s internal and external cybersecurity, people, process and products.
Below are some steps you can take to keep your organization on the cutting edge of security:
Conduct an internal review
Organizations of all sizes have varying levels of knowledge or exposure to cybersecurity risks. Regardless of how much you know about cybersecurity, try to define your starting point by filling out the Playbook’s internal scoresheet or answering questions to generate a call to action:
- As a leader or individual contributor in your organization, how much do you know about social engineering, ransomware, botnets, phishing, malware, Man-in-the-middle (MitM), denial-of-service, SQL injection, or zero-day exploit? What do your customers know about these?
- What type of cyber risks are you aware of inside and outside of your organization?
- Do you have an information security policy?
- Have you conducted anti-phishing or social engineering training with your staff in the past 3-6 months?
- Does your company perform daily backups?
- Does your company use a mobile device management system?
- Do you know the risk exposure of AV over IP solutions?
Seek advice to help you build credibility
You are not alone! USAV has resources available to help your organization build cybersecurity credibility with your partners and customers. Here are our five recommendations to up your cybersecurity game right away:
- Make sure your organization has the appropriate cybersecurity insurance policy, not just an insurance rider.
- Trust, but verify, the IT/cybersecurity policy is updated with cybersecurity considerations.
- Ensure your employees understand the importance and train them about data security, privacy policies, intellectual property protection, or data breach.
- Learn about your company’s exposure and understand the importance of penetration testing, storage/server back-up, multi-factor authentication, etc.
- Stay in-the-know about cybersecurity partners, products and services to keep improving your cyber position.
If you still feel lost and need support with your cybersecurity program, don’t hesitate to reach out to us! We can talk about specific steps your organization can take and help guide you through the process. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.